Job Posting Number
Fairfield Southern Company – Train Operator Helper Trainee
Location: Fairfield, AL
Since the late 1800’s, the Transtar companies consist of a group of rail carriers have been an important component in this country’s industrial development. Moving billions of tons of raw materials to manufacturing sites. Transporting finished products to market. Storing and handling bulk commodities. Providing rail transport services to hundreds of satisfied customers throughout the nation’s industrial heartland.
The Train Operator Helper Trainee position is an entry-level transportation position that is responsible for the operation of locomotives moving raw materials, finished products, and empty railcars. The Train Operator Helper Trainee Employee works outdoors in industrial settings, in all weather conditions.
- Communicate via radio transmitter with crew members and workers in the Yard Office regarding rail transportation work to be performed.
- Observe hand and radio signals in the yard in accordance with railroad rules and regulations.
- Operate track switches as needed.
- Perform procedures required to couple/uncouple rail cars.
- Push/pull drawhead into place to align for railcar coupling.
- Apply hand brakes on rail cars not in active use.
- Dump railcars using pry bars to open railcar doors.
- Maintain cleanliness of locomotive cab.
- Progress through Remote Control Operator Certification Program.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to walk extended distances over uneven terrain is required.
- FLEXIBILITY to work an INTERMITTENT (as needed) schedule, which includes working any shift, “on call” 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is required.
- A minimum of one year outdoor and/or industrial work experience is required.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays is required.
- Vocational or trade school preferred.
- Industrial work experience preferred.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume via email to email@example.com referencing the JOB POSTING number in the subject line.