Job Posting Number
Gary Railway Company – Heavy Equipment Mechanic, Maintenance of Way
Location: Gary, IN
Since the late 1800’s, the Transtar companies consist of a group of rail carriers have been an important component in this country’s industrial development. Moving billions of tons of raw materials to manufacturing sites. Transporting finished products to market. Storing and handling bulk commodities. Providing rail transport services to hundreds of satisfied customers throughout the nation’s industrial heartland.
The Heavy Equipment Mechanic is a Maintenance of Way Department position of the Gary Railway Company of Transtar, Inc. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic is responsible for the repair, and maintenance of all heavy equipment, and mechanical road/shop equipment in field and shop environments.
- Receives instructions regarding work to be done.
- Determines materials and required tools.
- Inspects, maintains, and repairs diesel and unleaded heavy equipment (300-ton cranes, front-end loaders, fleet of company vehicles, air compressors and other miscellaneous railroad equipment), and mechanical shop equipment (hand tools, hydraulic, electrical and diesel power equipment).
- Diagnose, trouble shoot and repair all types of electrical problems to above referenced equipment types.
- Diagnose, trouble shoot and repair all types of hydraulic problems of above referenced equipment types.
- Utilization of hand, electric, pneumatic, and hydraulic tools to accomplish job assignment.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- CDL Class B license with air brake and hazardous material endorsement is preferred. An ability to attain such license is required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
- Trade school or associate degree – mechanic is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of diesel mechanic experience, preferably with heavy equipment, i.e. hydraulics, air brakes, electrical systems is required.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, holidays, and on-call is required.
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain for long distances is required.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement work conditions is required.
- Performing manual labor and lifting in excess of 50 pounds is required.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the JOB POSTING number in the subject line.