Job Posting Number
Gary Railway Company – Track Laborer
Location: Gary, IN
Since the late 1800’s, the Transtar companies consist of a group of rail carriers have been an important component in this country’s industrial development. Moving billions of tons of raw materials to manufacturing sites. Transporting finished products to market. Storing and handling bulk commodities. Providing rail transport services to hundreds of satisfied customers throughout the nation’s industrial heartland.
The Track Laborer position is a Maintenance of Way position of Transtar’s Gary Railway Company located in Gary, Indiana. The Track Laborer is responsible for the repair, maintenance, and performance of the railroad tracks. As a Track Laborer, you will perform general labor duties that include construction of rail through the use of various gas and air tools.
- Lock tracks out and operate rail switches as instructed.
- Gather tools necessary to perform maintenance/repair tasks.
- Operate manual and pneumatic tools necessary to perform rail maintenance and repair work.
- Drive/remove spikes, drill holes in rail/ties, remove/set bolt plates on ties using various gas-powered equipment, pavement breakers, and air tools.
- Pre-assemble track sections for usage at a later time.
- Maintains cleanliness of Maintenance of Way tool storage area.
- Communicate with Track Equipment operators in the performance of track maintenance and fabrication work.
- Ability to perform manual labor lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions and walk extended distances over uneven terrain.
- After brief on the job training, you will be expected to obtain a CDL for operation of various railroad maintenance equipment.
- A minimum of one-year outdoor work experience is required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
- Railroad experience preferred.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Full time position, working shifts (with various off days), overtime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including holidays.
- Adherence to safety procedures/guidelines at all times. Safety is our core value which requires you to wear safety protection such as hard hats, safety glasses, hearing protection,
- protective clothing, and boots with metatarsal protection.
- The position requires punctuality, consistent attendance, self-direction and work collaboratively in a team environment for the success of the operations.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume via email to email@example.com referencing the JOB POSTING number in the subject line.