Job Posting Number
Gary Railway Company – Transportation Supervisor
Location: Gary, IN
Since the late 1800’s, the Transtar companies consist of a group of rail carriers have been an important component in this country’s industrial development. Moving billions of tons of raw materials to manufacturing sites. Transporting finished products to market. Storing and handling bulk commodities. Providing rail transport services to hundreds of satisfied customers throughout the nation’s industrial heartland.
The Transportation Supervisor position is an experienced, full-time, exempt salaried supervisory position. The position focuses on rail traffic movement in an industrial work environment; workforce planning and direction; thorough and timely administration documentation; and, compliance with applicable company policies and requirements of several governmental agencies. Transportation Supervisors work all shifts in an industrial environment subject to inclement weather conditions.
- Plan for the manpower, equipment, and materials needed to provide service to customers.
- Directs and supervises performance of trains and engine crews to ensure compliance with the Book of Rules, Special Instructions, Bulletins, Special Notices, and other established practices.
- Supervise personnel in accordance with labor agreement, company rules, and FRA regulations.
- Maintain good working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Propose cost reductions and operating changes as service requirements change.
- Promote safe work practices and environment.
- Complete all required reports.
- Responsible for the coordination of transportation activities of the railroad with internal and external customers to provide for the safe and efficient movement of cars and trains.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Transportation, Logistics, Business Management, or Business Administration preferred. Valid driver’s license required.
- Minimum of 2-years of railroad or heavy industrial management experience required.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Computer proficiency required (MS Office Software).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills is required.
- Must be willing and available to work shifts, weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed to accomplish job requirements.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in inclement weather.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the JOB POSTING number in the subject line.